14.4.16

Great Grey Shrike at Warren Hills

On Sunday 11th April, my dad made the decision last minute for us to go and see a Great Grey Shrike at Warren Hills, as this bird had been seen for the last 3 days, normally in the county these birds are just moving through

So we headed off to Warren Hills, on the way we picked up my Granddad, all going for this lifer, when we arrived there was a few birders around, but the bird hadn't been seen for 15mins, typical we'd missed the bird by a matter of minutes! But after some extensive searching, I managed to pinpoint the Shrike, taking cover at the bottom of a bush sheltering from the gusty wind, within a few minutes this bird was showing off at the top of his/her's favourite perch, he was catching Bumble Bee's regularly (mainly Red-Tailed Bumbles), after watching were the bird was catching it's prey I moved further along the hedgerow, after some perseverance and waiting I got the shot I was looking for, a flight shot of this bird! After many failed attempts I got the shot I was looking for, even though the bird was around 130m away, it was an awesome bird to see! A lifer, county and year tick putting me at 282 as my life list, 192 for the county and 115 for the year!

Great Grey Shrike on his lookout perch

The flight shot I was looking for! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment